<comment>

First, I verified that the RSS 0.91 spec is more honored in the breach than the observance.  Then I switched exclusively to Atom 1.0.

Time to destroy the internets again.  But only for those Aggregators with an 'X" in column four in this table.  Non-IE based aggregators with an X in this column will simply see silent data loss.  IE-based aggregators with an X in this column that aren’t based on white-listing may see a repeat of last Tuesday.

If your aggregator is broken, point the authors to section 3.1.1 of RFC 4287.

Umh ... hasn’t Phil been doing this for a while?

Posted by Jacques Distler at

Vienna for the Mac OSX ([link]) seems to work fine.

Posted by Tim Moore at

Jacques: if you can find access to a machine that runs IE, take a look at this.  On IE, <comment> renders the rest of the page invisible.  Here’s some background as to how it works.

Think of it as the difference between a zoo with a mangy old stuffed beaver with plastic duck lips glued on it, and one with a genuine platypus, complete with venomous ankle spurs :)

Posted by Phil Ringnalda at

Ah! Brilliant.

That is much more fun that Phil’s “Silent Data Loss in Every Post” campaign.

Backwards compatibility can be a curse ...

...if you can find access to a machine that runs IE

Having arranged my life so as to be  entirely Microsoft-free, getting access to such a machine is surprisingly difficult.

Posted by Jacques Distler at

Interesting... not only does Google Reader mess up the title, its link for ‘show original item’ comes from your /feed/link/@rel (or maybe /feed/id) not /feed/entry/link@href. Unfortunately I was too late checking to find out if the title mangling is carried through to their outgoing atom feeds.

Posted by Brian Ewins at

Brian,

Our outgoing Atom feeds preserve Sam’s title: [link]

Also, as far as I can tell, we get the alternate link right. When I click “Show original item” I see the right entry: [link]

Note that entries in our generated Atom feeds have a atom:source element with the feed homepage URL, which may be what you’re referring to. I believe Thunderbird’s Atom parser (and possibly others) get tripped up by this, which is why we moved it to the end of the entry, at Robert’s suggestion.

Posted by Mihai Parparita at

Mihai, thanks for the info on the outgoing feed. I’ve just realized that the borked show-original-item link is because I’m reading Sam via Planet Apache, and Planet’s Atom support is er,... sadly lacking...which I should know, being on its development mailing list. Oh the irony :) Accept my humble apologies!

Posted by Brian Ewins at

Is it time to move on from bloglines?

I have been using bloglines for several years now. But recently it has had a number of problems. Is it time to change and if so to what?......

Excerpt from 42 at

Bloglines Breakages

Not exactly.  I used to have a bookmark and for the last week or so, the accelerator keys stopped working for me.  Now I see why. Instead of breaking things that used to work, I’d really appreciate if Bloglines could handle basic things like whi... [more]

Trackback from Sam Ruby