Bzr-Feed

Morten Frederiksen: I wanted to be able to subscribe to the changes in a Bazaar branch.  Starting out with Sam’s tarify.cgi and Joe Gregorio’s sparklines as working examples I have managed to create a simple Python-script for generating an Atom feed: bzr-feed. You can of course subscribe to the changes!

Sweet!

I’ll definitely be deploying this for Venus.  But first I want to think a bit about what values make sense for link, and I want to put in some sort of cap on the number of entries in the feed.

Update: Venus now has a feed.

To make this happen, I had to make a few small changes (diff, branch), mostly to enable me to run this from the command line as bzr isn't installed on CornerHost.

export HTTP_HOST=intertwingly.net
export SERVER_PORT=80
export REQUEST_URI=/code/venus/index.atom
python bzr-feed/bzr-feed.py dir=venus > /home/rubys/planet/code/venus/index.atom

Right, the link value isn’t obvious, at least not without something else in place, perhaps a change log with branch identifiers.

I’m not sure what you mean with “cap” — there should be exactly ten entries in the feed, or is there a bug or incompatibility somewhere?

Posted by Morten Frederiksen at

there should be exactly ten entries in the feed

Ah, I missed the start_rev argument to show_log.

Posted by Morten Frederiksen at

“as bzr isn’t installed on CornerHost.”

Is this a point of philosophy? Personally I have a full installs of both Python 2.4 and 2.5, not to mention bzr, in my $HOME on Cornerhost.

Posted by Joe at

bzr-feed

Morten Frederiksen [via Sam ]: Starting out with Sam’s tarify.cgi and Joe Gregorio’s sparklines as working examples I have managed to create a simple Python-script for generating an Atom feed: bzr-feed . You can of course subscribe to the changes !...

Excerpt from BitWorking | Joe Gregorio at

Is this a point of philosophy?

Not consciously, no.  I’m sure that if I hadn’t figured out how to serve the results statically, I would have figured that out... eventually.  :-)

As far as unique identifiers for feed entries, it would be better to use the revision IDs instead of things like “tag:intertwingly.net,2006-08-16:code/venus:190”.  This way twp branches that contain the same revision in their mainline history will get the same ID.

Given the way Bazaar revision history is normalised, if two branches have the same revision in their mainline history they should assign the same revision number to it.

Posted by James Henstridge at

By the way, there is an SVG of the official Bazaar logo available here:
  [link]

The colours and shape are a bit different to your version.

Posted by James Henstridge at

it would be better to use the revision IDs

implemented

The colours and shape are a bit different to your version

I’ve adapted the colors and shape somewhat to make the result simultaneously more similar to, and yet more distinct from, the original.

Confirmed: Google Hates XHTML

Tom Pike:  No. Call this anecdotal if you like, but a few days ago I mentioned two products which have been widely reviewed, and my entry appears fairly high on the search results.  Pleasingly, traffic is starting to flow on that entry, partic... [more]

Trackback from Sam Ruby

bzr-feed HOWTO

bzr-feed is a Python script written by Morten Frederiksen which generates Atom feeds from Bazaar repositories. Users and other developers can subscribe to the feed and receive notifications of new revisions automatically. Obtaining bzr-feed You can...

Excerpt from Jason Blevins at