Appearances

Christophe Sauthier: This does not appear to be a bug report and we are closing it. We appreciate the difficulties you are facing, but it would make more sense to raise your question in the support tracker.

Well that sucks.  Alas, I can’t figure out how to show the bug’s history with dates (due to Lauchpad sucking?  dunno).  See, I’m very curious to hear what WOULD make it appear to be a bug report.

Well, this sort of attitude should do a really good job of decreasing Ubuntu’s bug count!

Posted by bronson at

I doubt this is a Linux bug - it happens on my T61p under Windows XP, too.  I can never count on my ThinkPad waking up from sleep.

Posted by charles at

Alas, I can’t figure out how to show the bug’s history with dates

[link]

Posted by Kevin H at

I can never count on my ThinkPad waking up from sleep.

Works just fine for me when I do not enable the NVIDIA device drivers.

TuxOnIce is what I use for hibernation, it has a whole bunch of tweaks you can play with to get things working. You’ll need to turn off the SMP support until -rc6 is released, currently it slows things down considerably.

Posted by James at

I’ve always suspected that the Ubuntu triagers are optimising for an unseen Closed Tickets report.

Posted by Noah Slater at

It’s certainly not a bug in yelp: perhaps that’s a symptom of the way you reported it?

Posted by Jon at

perhaps that’s a symptom of the way you reported it?

I used Help -> Report a problem, per these instructions.

Impressive Kevin.  How did you find that link?  I don’t see it anywhere.

Posted by bronson at

Well it doesn’t make sense to have filed a bug on Yelp for a suspend problem, and the instructions linked advise you to use the “Report a problem...” link for problems with the running application, not for any problem at all.

I do feel your pain though, suspend and hibernate are still highly unstable in Linux.

Posted by Dylan at

Well it doesn’t make sense to have filed a bug on Yelp for a suspend problem

I did not intend to file a bug on Yelp.

I went to the System => Administration => Hardware Drivers.  On that page there is no Report a problem link.  I pressed Help.  On that page, there is a Report a problem, under Help.  It said that it captured all sorts of data, and required me to sign in.  After I signed in, I entered what problem I was seeing.

Suspend and Hibernate have worked for me for years on my T42p.  On my new T61p, they work fine when I don’t select the NVIDIA driver.  I’m happy with the open source drivers, but just thought I might as well tell someone and tried my best to follow the posted instructions.

Did you try going through Ubuntu’s support tracker?  It’s possible that they’ll not only help you fix the problem, but also help you figure out what you need to include in your bug report to make the bug report more useful.

(I don’t use Ubuntu, but I do help triage Firefox and Gecko bug reports.  I have to ask for more information all the time, and sometimes I have to explain to a bug reporter why their bug report is not useful, but I don’t think I’ve ever written the phrase "This does not appear to be a bug report"!)

Posted by Jesse Ruderman at

When someone closes a bug report in a way that I consider incorrect, my usual response is to comment on the bug report in question (I might also post a blog entry like this if I’m trying to get some attention to the issue).

The fact that the bug was originally filed against yelp (the help viewer) probably didn’t help, but from your description that sounds like a UI problem: people shouldn’t have to know that the help viewer is a separate application.

Posted by James Henstridge at

Quote 3565

[Up↑] (0 /0 ) [Down↓] <philor> bah. so, I’m reading [link] and thinking about how, on average, we’re horrible to first time filers, and thinking "you know, we should have some info...

Excerpt from The irc.mozilla.org QDB: Unmoderated Quotes at

Quote 3565

+1...

Excerpt from The irc.mozilla.org QDB: Quotes of the Week at

Given that working suspend and hibernate seems popular enough ([link]), one can only hope more effort till be put into fixing this.

Posted by at

I used Help -> Report a problem, per these instructions.

Sure: I was expecting that was what you did. I wasn’t suggesting you were at fault. Ironically I think that the fact it was filed against yelp perhaps is a bug in yelp. Or Launchpad.

Posted by Jon at

Those menu entries are provided by a package called liblaunchpad-integration or some such. From memory any gnome package in the main repository gets them in development releases, there’s a specification somewhere on the ubuntu wiki that may tell more.

Posted by Dean at

I’m not familiar with the Ubuntu bug-tracker, but from a glance at its (byzantine) layout, it appears to cover multiple components/applications.  Surely it would not be unreasonable for the triager to move your bug to a more appropriate component rather than closing it outright, especially since you provided some sort of specific debugging data.

This sort of “moving serviceable-but-misfiled bugs to the right place” is common practice in shared bug-trackers I’m familiar with; I had assumed it was the standard practice in all such ecosystems.

Posted by Smokey Ardisson at

Sam: Is your screen actually blank, or does the backlight just fail to turn on again? There is a section in the Thinkwiki about this, also with possible solutions.

Posted by Arve at