White House Blog Feed

Valid, with warnings.  Notably:

Content-Type: text/xml - technically illegal.  Content contains a “curly” apostrophe properly encoded as utf-8.  Does not tend to cause a problem in practice.

Two entries with the same id - technically legal, but in practice an egregious error.

In related news, http://www.whitehouse.gov/ is well-formed XHTML 1.0 Transitional, served as... you guessed it... text/html.  This time with charset=utf-8.  Again, nothing that causes any problems in practice.

Looks like we both discovered this around the same time. Congratulations to everyone on the Atom team. Seeing your work reflected in the White House’s first-ever syndicated feed must be cool.

What do you think about how the White House uses Atom but calls it RSS on the feed info page and other places?

Posted by Rogers Cadenhead at

Looks like we both discovered this around the same time

Nope.  You clearly were there first.

They certainly aren’t the first to do so.  I seem to recall that the NFL does too.

You may have seen this: [link] (not by me)

Posted by Francois Jordaan at

Don’t ask us. Do ask Dave Winer. :-)

Posted by Aristotle Pagaltzis at

Politics

Obama’s address was great. The new whitehouse website has a blog, a valid Atom 1.0 feed, a beautiful robots.txt file and all of the content are licensed under Creative Commons license. We also have a humor of renaming the end......

Excerpt from bulknews.typepad.com at

Very cool to see the Atom feeds. The problems are easily fixed. Maybe our new President will be able to find some time in his busy schedule tomorrow to fix those for us.  If he can’t get to it, I’ll volunteer to help fix them for him in exchange for a White House VIP tour :-)

Posted by James Snell at

Apparently the jquery folks are happy too, mostly.

All of the entries have the same id. The Atom spec explicitly states that multiple entries with the same id are versions of the same entry, and that the idea be “universally unique” for a particular entry, so I’d argue the feed is emphatically not legal.

Posted by Graham Parks at

Graham, agreed.  I really wish there was some way I could automate that check...

I really wish there was some way I could automate that check...

While technically legal, I suspect it must be rare to see multiple entries with the same id in a single feed document, and almost unheard of to have every single item in the feed document with the same id. The fact that the titles, summaries, and alternate links are all different is further indication that this is most likely not a single item being updated repeatedly.

Surely a check based on some or all of the above criteria is worth a shot? The chances of a false positive from a real-world feed has got to extremely low.

Posted by James Holderness at

James: that does sound promising.

The only degenerate case I can think of is where every single item happens to be true, but only because the feed only has one (or zero!) entries.

I want to think about it a bit more, but if a feed has two or more items, no two of which have the same alternate link, and all of which have the same id, I would think that would be enough to make false positives rare enough to be negligible.  But if a real-world case does show up, I can look at that use case to determine how much more I need to back off.

Could the problem of all entries having the same ID be the reason my feed reader keeps presenting the first (old & read) entry whenever a new entry is posted? I’ve seen the first one or two entries show up as “new” multiple times and never receive the actual new entries. Using NetNewsWire 3.1.7 on OS X 10.5.6.

Posted by Andrew Rich at

I am an avid fan of Obama and I actually did campaign for him in our area. My family and friends wholeheartedly believed his mission to do that long-awaited change. However, I got some information that the name of the White House will be changed as well to the old name as the “President’s Mansion” or the “Executive Mansion”. I ask now if this is true an if this is necessary in the first place? What’s in a name? Besides the name White House has already established its meaning as it is, history has already made it. I don’t want to sound racist but some say that its the transition from getting rid of the “White” as a color indicator of superiority relative to the President’s Office. I do hope that its not a serious issue having to change the name again after so long a history. Just a thought here.

Posted by Carl Dreary at