Apple Apostasy

Looks like Why I quit OS X struck a nerve — it is currently down (see web archive).  Also good: Apple has lost the functional high ground.

I particularly like the comment that “It just works” was never completely true.  My experience is that when working with open source codebases, doing so on an Linux operating system comes much closer to “It just works” than doing so on any other.

Stands to reason, given that most FOS developers seem to have the philosophy, “Compiles and runs on Linux? Let’s ship!”

Posted by Jacques Distler at

Jacques: you say that like that’s a bad thing.  :-)

Jacques: you say that like that’s a bad thing.  :-)

Jokes aside, ntp4.2.8 shipped without it compiling on MacOSX, FreeBSD or allied systems. Granted that it was something of an emergency, but still ...

Posted by Jacques Distler at

“The problem seems to be quite simple”
"it’s simply an issue of ..."

If it were a simple problem it would not be a problem.  The problem is likely more something like “market pressures and stockholders are driving companies to launch more new shit instead of improving existing experiences”, which is not a simple problem to solve... And I see this problem with pretty much all consumer software that I use.

Posted by Jeff Schiller at

Jeff, your comment reminds me of something I recently read How can independent/unknown developers make better, decent, and far more superior applications than Microsoft?

Every major release of MacOS (at least back through MacOS 9) has been accompanied by howls of complaints at its vastly inferior usability as compared to the previous version.

In the same vein, professors have consistently complained (at least back through the mid 19th Century) that this generation of college students is vastly dumber/more poorly-prepared than the previous generation.

I leave it to you to draw the obvious conclusions about the (implications of the) validity of these complaints.

Posted by Jacques Distler at

“It just works” has never been remotely true for any general purpose computer operating system, ever. The closest we ever get is stripped down, purpose built embedded systems (arguably, game consoles hit the sweet spot for this in the mid 90s to early 2000s)

Frictionless operation for an 80/20 percent of common use cases is something we should strive for as an industry, though.

Posted by d.w. at

Sam, I read that Reddit post yesterday too - maybe I was influenced by it :)

Posted by Jeff Schiller at

On the off chance that it were a straightforward issue it would not be an issue. The issue is likely all the more something like “market weights and investors are driving organizations to dispatch all the more new poo as opposed to enhancing existing encounters”, which isn’t a straightforward issue to illuminate... Also, I see this issue with basically all customer programming that I utilize.

Posted by Dissertations Writing Services at

He completely will manage renunciation. What’s more, seeing as the ones that Christ instructed, his devotees (who turned into the missionaries) were Christian also I think numerous Christians will be okay.

Posted by Custom Dissertation Writing Services UK at

Cheat and utilize the Reference segment on Yahoo, go to the lexicon area on the off chance that you are in question about the word being a noun...I do appear to recall from school that ACTION words, for example, “strike”, or “accept” are VERBS, so a standard lexicon will disclose to you ideal out front if something is a thing

Posted by UK Writing Help at

I loved the way you discuss the topic great work thanks for the share Your informative post.

Posted by Myob Assignment at

Thanx for sharing such useful post keep it up :)

Posted by Psychology Assignment Help Service at

The SSLC Result 2018 Kerala will be declared on 3 rd week of May 2018. The actual date is not yet announced by higher authorities, but they decide to release in the month of May. The entire Board students are waiting for the latest news to know about the www. results. itschool. gov. in 2018 SSLC Result and it will be available on the board official website page results.itschool.gov.in on a regular basis to get the academic result.
www.results.itschool.gov.in