Ununzippable Modern.IE

I’ve downloaded the multi-part zip archive for IE11 on Win10 for VirtualBox on OS/X from modern.ie.  I’ve downloaded the single-file archive on both OS/X and Linux.  I’ve verified the md5 signatures for each.  Yet each time, when I try to unzip the result, I get the following:

$ unzip IE11.Win10.For.LinuxVirtualBox.zip
Archive:  IE11.Win10.For.LinuxVirtualBox.zip
warning [IE11.Win10.For.LinuxVirtualBox.zip]:  4294967296 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
  (attempting to process anyway)
file #1:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  4294967296
  (attempting to re-compensate)
  inflating: IE11 - Win10.ova
  error:  invalid compressed data to inflate

I’ve even tried jar xf with no luck:

$ jar xf IE11.Win10.For.LinuxVirtualBox.zip
java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid entry size (expected 5632888297048912 but got 4801961472 bytes)
	at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.readEnd(ZipInputStream.java:403)
	at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(ZipInputStream.java:195)
	at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.closeEntry(ZipInputStream.java:139)
	at sun.tools.jar.Main.extractFile(Main.java:961)
	at sun.tools.jar.Main.extract(Main.java:877)
	at sun.tools.jar.Main.run(Main.java:263)
	at sun.tools.jar.Main.main(Main.java:1177)

This shows signs of integer overflow, so it seems likely that the problem is client side.  Even with that said, choosing to make a this content available in a format for which there isn’t working client libraries available to unpack it isn’t helpful.

I’m submitting this link as feedback.

Apparently adopting the ZIP format was a recent change.

Antón Molleda suggested that I try downloading the Windows version.  I couldn’t figure out how to get to that option from my MacBook, didn’t want to download it to my Win 8.1 VM, and I couldn’t figure out how to copy a download link from IE (in particular, copy shortcut followed by a paste even in notepad produced nothing).

Eventually I looked closely at the URL, and saw that if you took a download link for OSX and replaced the two occurrences of the string “Mac” with “Windows” you are good to go.  I copy/pasted that into a window and downloaded that in the background using wget on my Ubuntu server.

When that finished, I got a file that was 4,732,512,400 bytes, so still just over 4G.  Despite this, I was able to unzip it on Ubuntu.  Copying the result back over to my MacBook, I was able to import the ova file.  Running that doesn’t get have the right VirgualBox Guest Additions installed, and attempting to install Guest Additions failed, so the machine can run in full screen and is understandably a bit sluggish, but is functional.  Oddly, copy shortcut works in this version of IE, but without Guest Additions I can’t paste the result back into my host VM.

Still, I was able to use the new VM to update my url test results for IE11.  Sadly, nothing changed.

1b87f3708910fdc73061f39162b55fd0

Log:

rubys@rubymacb:~/modern.ie$ md5 IE11.Win10.For.MacVirtualBox.zip
MD5 (IE11.Win10.For.MacVirtualBox.zip) = 1b87f3708910fdc73061f39162b55fd0
rubys@rubymacb:~/modern.ie$ unzip IE11.Win10.For.MacVirtualBox.zip
Archive:  IE11.Win10.For.MacVirtualBox.zip
warning [IE11.Win10.For.MacVirtualBox.zip]:  4294967296 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
  (attempting to process anyway)
file #1:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  4294967296
  (attempting to re-compensate)
  inflating: IE11 - Win10.ova
  error:  invalid compressed data to inflate

You could maybe try:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Archive\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Archive\ Utility IE11.Win10.For.MacVirtualBox.zip

Posted by Kevin H at

After a long search, I found you can unzip with:

ditto -x -k <path-to-zip> <path-to-unzip-into>

Shout out to Microsoft for making it so difficult!

Posted by Tom Ward at

love this amazing post. can’t wait for your another great work from your blog

Posted by jayapoker at

Install trend micro at www.installtrendmicro.com antivirus is one of the top rated antivirus program available online. It safeguards a user from cyber threats such as malware, spyware and viruses that may steal confidential user information and that information later can be used by hackers for financial gains. Trend micro also optimizes computer system for performance related issues.

Download trend micro with Serial number

install trend micro activation code

Install trend micro on new computer

install trend micro without disk

trend micro internet security activation

trendmicro.com/bestbuy

www.trendmicro.com/activation

www.trendmicro.com/getmax

trendmicro homeinstall

Posted by installtrendmicro at

wow. such a nice post. thankfully i found this. keep making great work

Posted by aladinpoker at

Your article is very interesting. I think this article has a lot of information needed, looking forward to your new posts. Get permission to share

Posted by rajapoker99 at

An article worth noting and should be learned. Thank you for providing this great information.

Posted by bmi calculator at

Situs Terbaik untuk melihat berita dan informasi  Poker Online Terpercaya adalah Hakim Poker, data terlengkap dan terakurat , langsung kunjungi situs nya.

Tips bermain poker
Tips Bandarqq
DivaQQ
MisterQQ
Info Poker PKV
Situs Bandar Poker
Artikel Poker PKV

Posted by dalin lim at

I don’t normally comment but I gotta tell regards for the post on this one : D

Posted by remipoker at

For those users who want contactless infrared thermometer to perform regular checkup of their family which is currently quarantine. Visit my website to get all the products now

Posted by Martina at

Customerinterations is a best dating service provider. If you are facing any issue regarding dating account and refund or upgrade plan then you can easily visit our website and get your best service for free.
visit: https://www.customerinterations.com/silver-singles-customer-service/