This site was hacked. A reader of the site noted that Google’s index of this site had been co-opted by dubious pharmaceutical offerings. I’ll gladly thank that individual publicly if they give me permission to do so; but my email reply got bounced as spam.
The immediate culprit was the addition of the following lines to a number of .htaccess files
Lately I’ve been moving around more between my netbook, laptop, and desktops, so having any single machine being designated as my mail portal at the moment often means that I often don’t have convenient access to my email.
I figured it was time to investigate running my own mail server.
Previously I said that there may be as many as four drafts by the end of the last month. Here we are in August, and we are still holding at one draft. I firmly believe that enabling forks is the best way to prevent such. The clearest explanation I have ever heard as to why that premise applies so well in the context of spec writing was made by Joe Gregorio: Camera-Ready Copy and the Social Denial-of-Service Attack. My experience is that people tend to become reasonable (or at least throttle down the urge to be unreasonable) if you set the expectation that they need to make a concrete and constructive proposal.
Accordingly, I plan to continue enabling such potential forks in the hopes that doing so will end up facilitating the amicable resolution of issues. During the course of this discussion, I was able to assist a number of people with the preparation of their text for publishing, even though none actually got published. The remainder of this post is about that process.
I finally decided to upgrade my cell phone to one that supports the web and email. I settled on an LG enV3 in slate blue. One of the pages I frequently check is my comments page, and as I had taken care to ensure that the markup degraded gracefully, the page displays adequately on my mobile device — with one obvious annoyance that surprised me.
To read the comments, I have to horizontally scroll.
Yehuda Katz: Last week, Carl and I started digging into the Rails initializer, and the tests in the initializer (railties) are more mock-based and less reliable than the tests in ActionPack (which we’ve been working with so far). They’re pretty reasonable unit tests for individual components, but getting all of the tests to pass did not result in an (even close) bootable Rails app.
To help with spreading the word, I’ve created a registration page where those with an interest in doing so can sign up for IM notification on test results.
Rob Sayre: this objection wouldn’t be relevant to a document with no “author conformance requirements”, right?
At the present time, the HTML 5 document is a browser behavior specification and a list of author conformance requirements. The first part is essentially uncontroversial. The second part is the source of seemingly unending controversy.
Dean Hachamovitch: I think it’s important to not just do SVG but have complete tests so SVG works the way developers want it to
On the lower right of this page is a “watermark”. If you are viewing this page using IE, you won’t see it. If you are viewing this web page using a recent, released version of Opera or Firefox, you will see it in its entirely. If you are viewing this post using WebKit (either through Chrome or Safari), it will be clipped oddly on two sides.
Anne van Kesteren: Now we have all these early adopters of HTML5 it seemed about time to move the goalposts. With help from Simon Pieters (SVG, some CSS bits), Sam Ruby (notably smaller SVG), and Robbert Broersma (menu) my site now looks uglier in most browsers. In fact, although I have not tested Safari 3.1, I am relatively certain it will not render properly in any released browser.
The WHATWG has a FAQ. In a number of places
what is written there does not reflect my thinking on this matter.
Perhaps it doesn't reflect the opinion of others in the group? As this
wiki is not operating under the burden of rules like [citation
needed] it is difficult to determine exactly whose opinion this page does
My plans are to do a fresh install of Intrepid Ibex on a number of computers, and since I had a spare machine, I thought I would recover Windows to a known clean slate, insert a second hard drive, and use that install to clone existing machines which would then be wiped and restored.
A few bumps along the way, none of which affect my overall plan.
Looking into Asset Rebalancing, I thought a visual aide would be helpful. So I developed a simple Rails partial for doing a pie chart and a jQuery script which causes the corresponding slice to “pop out” when you hover over a row in an adjoining table.
Looking at openidauthentication, it seem to do everything I want. Since I am looking to check an identity during the processing of a request, I need to somehow have the id of the unprocessed record tag alone with the identity request.